Monday 17 October 2011

I like how they gave him bib #100

Today's Inspiration
Yesterday, a 100-year-old man, Fauja Singh, earned a place in the Guinness World Records by completing the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon in just over 8 hours.  Full story here.  His average speed was about 3 mph, a pace so slow it took a contingent of supporters to keep him from falling over.  Just kidding!!  In all seriousness, it is inspiring to see a man of such advanced age taking on such a physically demanding challenge, training for it, and completing it.  Imagine the discipline.  Imagine the passion!  Take that, you mall-walking grannies!



Fauja Singh in training.  I like how they gave him bib #100
and I love the slogan on his t-shirt:  Sikhs in the city. 

Tomorrow's Inspiration
Starting on October 21, an Ottawa-area man is going to attempt to run seven marathons in seven days.  Did you get that?  Seven marathons in seven days!!  Now, I know a couple of women who ran recently ran a half marathon and took almost seven days to recover from that so I can't begin to imagine how this guy's going to feel at the end of this feat.  Ouch!  He's doing it to raise funds and awareness for CHEO's Youth Net program.  Again, imagine the passion!  Full story heredonations and run tracker here.  Whenever I see a runner on the road, or hear a story about a person like this, I send out a good thought for them.  I'll be doing it for this guy and I hope he can feel my vibe!

No comments:

Post a Comment